Monday, June 11, 2018

NFL Classroom Transformation

State testing is a stressful time for students and teachers. I wanted to decrease that stress by doing  a room transformation that would would effectively review math and reading concepts that would be fun and exciting! I am a firm believer that what students learn with joy, they REMEMBER. Doing something like this just days before our state testing, I was filled with self-doubt that I was making a bad decision... but I pushed away that self-doubt and took a risk.... and when the test scores came out in May, the decision I made was right! I could not have been happier, and I look forward to doing this every year. Here's how you can make this state-test prep room transformation happen in your classroom!


SETTING UP
- I used plastic table cloths as backgrounds purchased from Party City and Amazon. You could also just use green butcher paper and paint football plays on them!
- I color printed and laminated team logos and attached magnets to display on the scoreboard.
- Table cloths make any room transformation better in my opinion because it gives the illusion that the desks are 'gone' and it doesn't feel like a classroom!
- I placed cones everywhere- you can get 5 of them for $1 at the Dollar Store!!
- I went to grocery stores and asked for their decorations after the super bowl, and they were happy to give them to me!




ACTIVITIES/IDEAS
- Stay in character! I acted as the official ref for the week and wore my ref outfit every single day.
- I emailed my students' parents a letter to print and give to their students. It was an NFL Draft letter letting them know that on Monday they will be officially drafted onto an NFL team. I LOVE sparking the curiosity of my students! 


- I put my students into groups of 6 and had 4 teams total, each named a different NFL team. I explained to them that each day they would be competing for the spirit seat! This was a HUGE success... if you can get kids excited about a toilet seat... you can do anything! I purchased a new toilet seat at Walmart and decorated it. Simple. 
- I  gave them the challenge of creating an end zone dance with their team. I showed them an end zone compilation video on YouTube and gave them 15 minutes. This was not academic related, however, it was a great way for them to work together and communicate effectively as a team... it was also really fun! 
- I gave each team a quote that I wanted us all to remember and follow throughout the week. Each team discussed their interpretation of the quote and presented it to the whole class. I hung these posters up as a reminder of the expectations! 




- I setup a division relay, where students competed as a team to run and grab division problems and solve the problems together. *Make sure EACH teammate has the correct answer and the work to show for it. My rule for all games is 'no outs and no turns'. All students should be working.


- At the end of each day, the team with the most points would win the Spirit Seat. We would have a mini celebration and I would take the team's picture and display it on the scoreboard. The team who won the seat the most times by the end of the week, would get to eat lunch inside the classroom that following Monday. 


- I used many TPT review games and task cards. Choose ones that fit your grade level.
- Our favorite game was the Vaseline game! Each team got a bowl of Vaseline to put on their nose. They then raced to the table to grab a task card that was their teams color- no hands allowed! They came back to their team with the card, and all teammates needed to get the correct answer, and check with me before moving on to get another card. *TIP: I bought 5 jars of Vaseline... I only used 1, so don't over buy like I did. 



REMINDERS:
- Explicitly discuss the behavior expectations 
- All year build a classroom community that emphasizes the celebration of each other. Teaching students that by uplifting others they uplift themselves, you are setting yourself up for a positive and fun room transformation. You will also avoid sore losers and teammates with bad attitudes. 
- Carefully take down all your decorations and keep them in one bin once your done! You'll be so happy next year when your don't have to buy anything.
- At the end of the week, reflect on this transformation. What would you keep the same? What would you change or add? Write these things down and put them in the bin your decorations are in so you are better prepared for next year.
- It's okay to start small and build on your materials each year. Even just making a few changes or implementing a few review games will make all the difference!


I know your class will love this just as much as my champions did! Good luck, and thanks for being great for kids! 
- Julie












2 comments:

  1. Just found this! Going to do a Superbowl party day in my classroom. I should have known to come to you for inspiration and ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did you put in your draft letter? I love that idea to get the kids and families excited. I’m planning on doing a football room transformation with a novel study I’m starting in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete